Posts for tag: dental crowns
Dental crowns are one of the most versatile and reliable treatments available today. From cosmetic damage to severe tooth decay and tooth loss, crowns are a staple of restorative and cosmetic dentistry. Here at Colesville Dentistry in Silver Spring, MD, your dentists, Dr. Gregory Hysong and Dr. Lynda LePore, use crowns to the benefit of patients' smiles—read on to learn more!
Invest in Your Smile and Oral Health with Dental Crowns in Silver Spring, MD
Dental crowns have been in use in some form or another for almost as long as the practice of dentistry itself. Over time, the materials, design, and procedures regarding crowns have evolved throughout the years, allowing them to remain one of the most important tools available to modern dentists. Crowns can either cover (cap) a damaged tooth, or they can replace missing teeth with a bridge or dental implants.
If a tooth has a cavity that's too large to be filled and treated with a standard filling, or if there is not enough healthy surface remaining for a filling, a dental crown may be used to save and strengthen the severely decayed tooth.
A crown can also save a fractured or broken tooth after trauma or root canal therapy.
How Dental Crowns Work
There are a number of options available depending on your individual needs and circumstances. Dental crowns are available in a few different types of materials, including:
- Resin (a combination of dental-grade plastic and other materials that resemble natural tooth enamel)
With proper care, a typical dental crown can last anywhere from 5 to 15 years or longer!
Find a Dentist in Silver Spring, MD
For more information about dental crowns and other cosmetic and restorative dentistry options available to you, contact Colesville Dentistry today by dialing (301) 384-6000 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Hysong or Dr. LePore.
Need crowns from your Silver Spring, MD, dentist?
A dental crown is made out of porcelain or ceramic. Unlike veneers, crowns don't cover only the front surface of your teeth. They're caps that fit over the unattractive, decayed, or damaged tooth. Crowns can even be used to replace a missing tooth when one of your Silver Spring dentists installs a dental bridge over your gums.
Dental Crown Installation Procedure:
There are three steps to getting your unsightly tooth capped:
- Step 1: Your dentist will numb the area surrounding the tooth and begin preparing the tooth. This is done to reshape the tooth so it fits under the crown.
- Step 2: A crown is designed at a laboratory using impressions taken of your teeth. The impressions are taken digitally or with the use of a putty-like material and are used as a guide so that laboratory technicians can mold a crown that'll fit perfectly over your tooth.
- Step 3: The permanent crown is cemented over the tooth using a specific type of cement or resin.
Advantages of Crowns:
Besides making your smile more aesthetically pleasing, crowns have other advantages:
- They're used to cover restorative procedures such as root canals and dental implants.
- They give your teeth reinforcement, therefore improving your bite and capability to chew.
- Crowns also support fillings that have been dislocated.
- Several crowns can be used if you have more than one tooth that needs to be covered.
Improve your dental care by brushing twice a day and flossing at least once before bed. In addition to maintaining a healthy oral regimen, make sure to visit your dentists twice a year for your bi-annual examination.
For more information on dental crowns or to schedule an appointment, contact your Silver Spring, MD, dentists, Drs. Lynda LePore and Dr. Gregory Hysong by calling their office at (301) 384-6000.