Posts for tag: cavity prevention
By Colesville Dentistry
September 15, 2014
Category: Oral Health
Water has been known as the number one beverage for being healthy, and is known to do wonders in keeping you hydrated. During the summer months in Colesville, it’s hot and we usually reach for a beverage to cool down. Soft drinks, juices, and sports drinks are often convenient, but should be consumed in moderation. Drinking too much of these drinks can cause damage to your teeth because they are loaded with sugar. Colesville Dentistry wants you to know the benefits in choosing water, especially water with fluoride, over other drinks.
Water for you and your children is beneficial not just for the lack of sugars, but also for the fluoride that is in tap water. For nearly 70 years, studies have consistently shown that fluoridation of community water supplies is safe and effective in preventing dental decay in both children and adults. Simply by drinking water, children and adults can benefit from fluoridation's cavity protection whether they are at home, work or school. Fluoride in water has been shown to decrease cavity formation by 20%-40%. It is a naturally occurring mineral that is proven to protect against tooth decay.
The health benefits of fluoride in water are:
- Fewer cavities and less severe cavities.
- Less need for fillings and tooth extractions.
- Less pain and suffering associated with tooth decay.
It is recommended to adequately get water with fluoride by using your own tap water that has fluoride in it. Using a reusable bottle is a good way to do this. Bottled water normally does not have fluoride inside, so drinking excessive amounts of bottled water does nothing for the health of your teeth.
Other Oral Health Procedures
Drinking water, specifically with fluoride is a good start to oral health, but you should also make sure to follow regular dental cleanings and checkups. Listed below are some at-home tips for you to follow.
- Get into a routine of brushing and flossing. Brush twice a day, and floss once.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and replace the brush every 3-4 months.
- Use toothpaste with fluoride, just like the water with fluoride.
- Brush all surfaces of the teeth, tongue side and cheek-side.
- Brush your tongue from back to front.
- Limit sugary snacks, sugary drinks, as well as tobacco.
To learn more about keeping your mouth as healthy as possible, or why you should keep drinking water everyday, call our office at (301) 384-6000 today to schedule an appointment.