Silver fillings aren't the only option if you have a cavity. Tooth-colored fillings offered by your Silver Spring, MD, dentists at Colesville Dentistry, provide a more subtle way to treat tooth decay.
5 benefits of tooth-colored fillings
Adding a tooth-colored filling offers these important advantages:
- No Change in the Appearance of Your Tooth: Silver amalgam fillings are very noticeable any time you open your mouth, but not tooth-colored fillings. In fact, the fillings blend in with your tooth enamel and don't distract from your appearance. During your visit to the Silver Spring, MD dental office, your dentist will choose a shade of composite resin that matches your natural tooth color. Tooth-colored fillings are made of composite resin, a flexible material that's tinted to match a variety of common tooth colors.
- Your Tooth Color Will Remain Consistent: A tooth can gradually become darker if it's filled with a silver amalgam filling. Fortunately, that won't be an issue when a tooth-colored filling is used.
- Your Tooth Stays Stronger: During the filling process, healthy tooth structure around the decayed portion must be removed, whether the tooth is filled with a silver amalgam filling or a tooth-colored filling. Unfortunately, removing both the decayed part of the tooth and the healthy margin can weaken your tooth, making it more likely to crack or break. Only a small margin needs to be removed when you choose a tooth-colored filling, which helps protect your teeth.
- The Bonding Process Also Strengthens Teeth: After the composite resin is added to your tooth, it's hardened using a special curing light. This process also bonds the material to your enamel, which helps strengthen the tooth.
- Reduced Risk of Cracking: The metals that make up a silver amalgam filling contract and expand when exposed to hot or cold foods or liquids. Over the years, contraction and expansion can eventually cause the tooth to crack. Cracks can allow bacteria to enter the tooth, increasing your risk of tooth decay or dental abscesses. Cracks also weaken teeth, making them more likely to break. Composite resin doesn't react to changing temperatures, helping you avoid cracks.
Tooth-colored fillings enhance and protect your smile! Call your dentists in Silver Spring, MD, at Colesville Dentistry by dialing (301) 384-6000 to schedule an appointment.